By -

Information last updated on February 14 2019. 

The UK is currently due to leave the European Union on 29 March 2019.

It seems so many issues are still up in the air, including whether or not we will leave with or without a deal. And what the terms of that deal may, or may not be.

Guidance is already available for motorists who are planning to drive to the EU and beyond after Brexit, and the Government is regularly updating the information on the gov.uk website.

International Driving Permits (IDPs) and Green Card Insurance requirements are among the areas outlined on the web pages.

HIC has analysed the advice to offer these post-Brexit travelling tips.

TIP 1. Plan ahead and give yourself enough time for the paperwork

When the UK leaves the EU, there may well be a bit more pre-trip admin to sort out if you’re planning on driving to the continent and beyond.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK drivers may need an IDP which can be obtained from the Post Office. Also check the regulations of the country you are visiting, and those you drive through to get there. In the event of a no deal, it is also likely motorists will have to carry Green Card Insurance.

Both of these extra layers of admin may take time to process – so it would be better to look into this sooner rather than later. Also remain organised throughout the process, check your passport meets all requirements and keep all documentation together.

TIP 2. Keep on top of the information being issued by the Government

The Brexit negotiations seem to be taking a new twist and turn every day.

Nevertheless, there’s some really helpful advice for motorists on the Government’s current guidance page titled “Prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit”. It even offers basic guidance on whether you will need a GB sticker depending on your vehicle’s number plate.

So definitely bookmark this page, or sign up for the email alerts to keep updated.

TIP 3. Look carefully into Green Card insurance

A motor insurance Green Card is evidence of motor insurance cover when driving abroad.

At the moment, a motor insurance Green Card is optional for driving through the EU, EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland.

But it is likely drivers will need to carry Green Card documentation as proof of insurance in the event of a no deal Brexit. This should have a minimum of 15 days cover on the date of travel to and from the European Union.

To speed up the administration process, insurance companies may email the documentation to you. But the Green Card itself must be printed on green paper otherwise it may not be recognised by border police.

TIP 4. Allow even more time for your journey

Expect delays as there will be more security checks throughout your journey.

The Government has already made contingency plans to turn parts of the motorway network approaching the ferry ports into waiting areas. Similar schemes are also being introduced on the other side of The Channel.

It’s difficult to know how these efforts will play out in practice – so set out a little earlier to be on the safe side.

A spokesman from HIC said: “The Brexit situation is very fluid at the moment. Guidance is available for motorists who plan to drive over to the EU after 29 March 2019, so plan ahead and keep up-to-date with the information being issued.”

He added: “If you have any doubts about your Green Card, talk to your insurance broker who will be able to share the latest information with you.”


You may also like…


How a no-deal Brexit could affect Brits driving to Europe…


How a no-deal Brexit could affect Brits driving in Europe