Car Insurance for Travelling in Europe

Walkabout travel insurance is a dedicated insurance scheme aimed at travellers to (and around) Europe, whether on a "van tour" or in a camper. Thanks to our knowledge and experience with campers and vans, we realised that the particular needs of visitors to Europe taking van tours were not being met. We know that those on 'walkabout' tours want to make the most of their time on tour, visiting as much of Europe as possible, so cover which is valid throughout Europe is a priority.*

HIC know how difficult it is for visitors to Europe to find appropriate insurance, for example;

  • Most insurance companies only offer cover for a whole year at a time, which often means paying extra for cover you don't need if you are visiting for just a few weeks or months.
  • Also, many do not offer cover to holders of foreign licenses, and those that do will frequently up the price they quote by a considerable amount.

Our Walkabout cover comes with many of the features and extras that come with an annual policy so you will have peace of mind that comes from knowing you have top quality insurance cover in place.

Here at HIC, we organised a Q&A session about how our insurance is different and why it appeals to actual travellers.

I am travelling around the UK for 9 months can you insure my 2000 VW camper?

Yes we can, no matter what the make or year of your camper or van we will always try and get the best deal possible.

Other insurance companies have quoted me for 1 year but I'm travelling for 20 days. Can you help?

We have cover available for a variety of periods, ranging from 15 days to 1 year, which means you will have cover that you'll actually use. No one wants to spend more than they have to.

The next stint of my walkabout tour is Europe, I have spent 3 and half years travelling Australia and New Zealand. Therefore I have no home address. How will I receive my documents?

No problem, this can be a real worry for some tour participants. We will email you your documents if you do not have a permanent address. There is also no need for an EU driving licence as we accept Australian, New Zealand, USA, Canadian, South African and other selected overseas countries.

Does your cover include contents insurance? What happens if my contents are damaged whilst using a heater or cooking equipment?

HIC are camper and van enthusiasts and we know that these unfortunate events do happen. As you would expect we have standard cover for your contents, this includes full cover for anything lost or damaged whilst using heating or cooking equipment.

I am a student on my Gap year. Am I able to have a policy?

Yes you can. All the fun of being a student is the gap after you graduate. The same applies to you as travellers and backpackers. We offer cover throughout Europe and other countries for Campers or Vans and there is no need for a permanent address.

Cheaper Car Insurance for Backpackers and Travellers

As this Q&A group found out we know exactly what is required from Walkabout insurance. For travellers, backpackers and gap year students visiting or working in the UK and Europe our specialist Walkabout scheme offers;

  • Cover valid throughout EU and other countries*
  • Cover available for Campers including Vans Cover for periods ranging from 14 days to 1 year
  • No permanent address needed - documents can be sent by e-mail
  • Overseas driving license acceptable, including Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, South Africa and other selected countries

To show how simple and exceptional the value of our insurance is we have outlined some simple quotes**


Ford Transit Camper

  • Male: 36
  • Lives in: Australia
  • Camper value: £7,500
  • Zero NCB, £200 excess
  • 2500cc petrol model
  • 3 months: £242 fully comp
  • 8 months: £441 fully comp
  • 12 months: £567 fully comp

Volkswagen Camper

  • Male: 25
  • Lives in: UK
  • Camper value: £2,000
  • Zero NCB, £150 excess
  • 1600cc RHD model
  • 15 days: £127 TPFT
  • 1 month: £176 TPFT
  • 3 months: £255 TPFT

Cheaper Car Insurance for Backpackers and Travellers

So, if you want to take a camper van tour or just drive in the UK whilst you work through your gap year, you can be sure that Herts Insurance will offer you a competitive and appropriate policy. And because so many of our staff are car and camper enthusiasts and owners, you can be sure that when you call us, the person dealing with your policy knows exactly what you're talking about.

If you would like to talk to our team about Walkabout Car Insurance, call 0344 381 6530 today. (From overseas call +44 1279 940 360, or use our free callback facility, please note that our opening hours are 9am-7pm UK time Mon-Fri and 9am-2pm Sat).

*European cover: includes cover at the full level of your policy for Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom and non EU countries include Andorra, Croatia, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. Third party cover can be provided for the following countries at an additional premium: Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, F.Y.R.O.M, Moldova, Montenegro, Morocco, Tunisia, Serbia, Turkey and Ukraine.

**sample quotes are cover as stated for a driver with a clean license (unless stated otherwise). These illustrative car insurance quotes, valid as at 3/3/2013, are provided for information only and do not form the basis of any contract or tender.

Terms and conditions apply.